- taking photographs, particularly night shots
- the books of J.R.R. Tolkien,
Frank Herbert, Isaac Asimov and Iain Banks
- Bridget Jones
- Coffee and cafes, coffee houses, Kaffeehäuser, ...
- Cocktails, Cocktailbars, ...
- Harry Potter (both books and movies)
- post-colonial literature
- Mauterndorf, La Thuile, and skiing
- the music of Dmitry Shostakovich (well, some of it, particularly the movie suites)
- Salzburg in general and the Salzburg Opera Festival
- the Comedian Harmonists, Hudson Shad, and String of Pearls
- the paintings of René Magritte
- Star Trek (well, most of it), and the re-imagined BSG series
- romanesque churches and masonry (1, 2, ...)
- hiking in the mountains, biking in the valleys
- (Gentoo) Linux, KDE, ... and solving the occasional difficult problem in network administration
- dry wine (that's something for diabetics)
- tea (as opposed to fruit infusions and coffee)
- the magazines "Focus" and "Chip"
- getting up early in the morning
- buying trousers
- pointless philosophical discussions
- watching movies alone
- having to solve trivial computer problems when I actually want to have a
good time with friends
- Apple Mac's
- biking in the mountains
- litchi (ugh... yuck...) and avocado
- tidying up my desk
- the paintings of Pablo Picasso
- most computer games
- soccer and tennis, particularly on TV
- "Sex and the City"
- checking in at the airport
- submission deadlines ...
- ... and if it takes a journal ages to produce a decision on a manuscript, but then the proofs have to be corrected within 72h.